U.S. Representatives and Senators need to understand that our community values and needs quality, affordable health care. Tell your story. If you’ve benefited directly from the ACA or have loved ones who do, share why coverage matters to you. Let them know if you were able to get coverage for the first time, received tax credits, or benefited from protections for pre-existing conditions. Explain what the impact of ACA repeal would mean for you.
Find your legislators at http://www.usa.gov/elected-officials or call the hotline: (866) 426-2631
MAKE A CALL
“Hi. My name is ___________ and I’m a constituent of Representative/Senator _____________.
I’m calling because I’m worried that Congress is rushing to repeal the Affordable Care Act, which would result in hundreds of thousands of us losing access to the lifesaving care we need.
1. Why the ACA is important to you
2. The ACA should not be repealed without an immediate replacement
3. Any replacement to the ACA should provide more affordable coverage, better benefits, and stronger protections for ALL Kentuckians
ASK THEM: What will you do to…?
• Make sure no one loses coverage
• Make sure plans are affordable
• Make sure pre-existing conditions are not held against people
Our communities deserve the security and peace of mind that comes with health coverage. We should not have to risk all that we’ve gained. Congressional leaders should collaborate on a bipartisan plan to make the ACA work better for everyone. Kentuckians deserve nothing less than more affordable coverage, better care, and stronger protections for ALL.
Please tell the [Representative or Senator] my concerns. Thank you for your time.”
SEND A POSTCARD
Use the talking points below to send a message to your legislators.
Click here to download a card you can print on cardstock to mail. (cut card out after printing)
Take a picture and post on Facebook or Twitter before you send!
Use the hashtags: #ProtectOurCare #SaveMyCare #KeepKyCovered #FixDontNix
• one of nearly 600,000 hard-working Kentuckians who gained coverage thanks to the ACA.
• one of the 1.9 MILLION Kentuckians – that’s nearly half of us – with a pre-existing condition that had to pay more or go without coverage before the ACA. Our lives are at risk without it.
• a Kentuckian who has seen my family/community ripped apart by drug addiction and the ACA was there for me/my family/neighbor/friend when they needed treatment.
• An entrepreneur/small business owner/artist who was able to start a new business because I didn’t have to stay in a bad job just to keep my employer coverage.
Please protect Kentuckians from…
• Losing 45,000 jobs and billions of dollars in federal funding that we desperately need.
• ACA replacement plans that give hundreds of billions of dollars in tax breaks to the wealthy, insurers, and drug makers, while hard-working, low-income Kentuckians get less help.
• Insurer discrimination against women and people with pre-existing conditions.
• Lifetime caps on coverage that leave families stranded when they really need it. (extra words? need expensive care for cancer treatment or another life-threatening illness.)
• Take coverage away from nearly HALF A MILLION Kentuckians and make it unaffordable for hundreds of thousands more.
• Allow insurers to discriminate against women/LGBTQ/pre-existing conditions. We all deserve access to affordable, high quality care when we need it.
• Eliminate the tax credits that make insurance affordable for millions of working families.
• Use Health Savings Accounts (HSAs) as a substitute for affordable coverage. They’re not a solution for anyone who struggles to make ends meet.
• Repeal the ACA without an immediate and sufficient replacement that provides nothing less than more affordable coverage, better benefits, and stronger protections for ALL Kentuckians.
MAIL THEM TO:
Senator Mitch McConnell
317 Russell Senate Office Building
Washington, DC 20510
Senator Rand Paul
167 Russell Senate Office Building
Washington, DC 20510