Federal Health Care Reform
Federal Health Care Reform News and Resources
- Affordable Care Act: Obamacare & Health Reform Facts
- Understanding the Impact of Obamacare on Medicare
- What does Marketplace health insurance cover?
- Affordable Care Act: State-by-State Impact:
- The Lifestyle Revolutionaries Guide to Addiction Intervention
- Executive Order: KY Health Benefit Exchange 7-17-12 Exchange Advisory Board Membership – includes two consumer representatives 7-17-12
- Governor Beshear Letter to HHS re: Implementing Exchange (7-10-12)
- KVH STATEMENT ON ACA RULING 6-28-12
KVH SCOTUS Media Summary
The following is a comprehensive list of media hits generated from the KY Voices for Health statement on the SCOTUS ACA ruling. Media spoke with several representatives from KY Voices for Health and its member groups, and captured the impact of this ruling on the various stakeholder groups in Kentucky. Media hits include television, radio, print and online media sources including several stories in other states (Ohio and Indiana).
- WDRB (FOX Louisville)
- WHAS11 (ABC Louisville)
- WFPL (NPR Louisville)
- Louisville Courier-Journal (interviewed KVH but comment not included)
- Associated Press (talked to KVH but comment not included)
- Bowling Green Daily News (interviewed KVH but comment not included)
- Bowling Green Daily News
- Richmond Register
- KY Health News
- Indianapolis Star
KVH White Paper
KVH Submits Comments on Medicaid Eligibility and Enrollment and Exchange Regulations
The final Medicaid and Exchange regulations that were published at the end of March included a few provisions that remained open for comment. KVH submitted the following comments to the US Department for Health and Human Services (HHS) last week.
- Interim Final Portions of the Regulations to Establish Exchanges - CMS–9989–F (May 11)
- Interim Final Regulations Relating to Medicaid Eligibility - CMS–2349–F (May 7)
MyCare: When the Affordable Care Act was signed into law on March 23, 2010, Americans began to take their health care into their own hands. MyCare is an initiative to educate Americans about new programs, benefits, and rights under the health care law.
- Protecting Small Business | Read KVH Statement
- Protecting Seniors | Read KVH Statement
- Protecting Patients' Rights | Read KVH Statement
- Protecting Women | Read KVH Statement
- Protecting Children & Young Adults | Read KVH Statement
- Video vignettes featuring people whose lives have been improved by the Affordable Care Act | Watch Video
- Are you looking for a speaker on health reform and how the law impacts Kentuckians? Make a Speaker Request
Where We Stand on Health Care Reform
The Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act of 2010, signed into law on March 23, 2010, will help Kentuckians from all walks of life—young and old, low and middle-income, working and unemployed—to get and keep affordable health insurance while putting safeguards in place to improve quality and contain costs. This issue brief is intended to help Kentuckians understand the new law. It provides a basic timeline of what will happen under the reforms, describes the impact on Kentucky, presents questions and answers about the new reforms, and offers sources of additional information.
- The New Health Reform Law: What it Means for Kentuckians
- Health Reform Timeline
- Number of Kentuckians Who Will Benefit from Health Reform, 2010-2020.
- KY Department of Insurance Health Reform
- Find Consumer Rate Information
- Frequently Asked Questions for Consumers (NAIC)
KVH Comments on Health Insurance Exchanges The Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) requested comment on the proposed rules to aid in the development of standards for the establishment and operation of the exchanges, to address other exchange-related provisions in the Affordable Care Act, and to inform for the awarding of grants to states to assist them in planning and developing their exchanges. Comments were due on Monday, Oct. 4. KVH submitted comments regarding areas of interest to consumers. Health reform requires the establishment of American Health Benefits Exchanges, or “exchanges,” to create regulated marketplaces where eligible consumers can buy health insurance.
Important Consumer Protections Implemented Sept. 23 as a result of the new Health Reform law
- Eliminating Annual and Lifetime Limits [Families USA]
- New Rights to Appeal Health Plan Decisions [Families USA]
- Ensuring Choice of and Access to Doctors [Families USA]
- Fair Treatment for Emergency Care [Families USA]
- Ending the Practice of Unfair Rescissions [Families USA]
- Young Adult Coverage
Straight Talk for Seniors on Health Reform
If you’re still not sure how health reform will affect seniors, get the facts in our Straight Talk videos. They feature Jim Firman, NCOA president and CEO, outlining how the law will impact Medicare, Medicare Advantage plans, and more. Watch the videos »
Federal Health Reform Links
Brochures & Educational Materials
Below you’ll find brochures and materials related to the implementation of the Affordable Care Act. For additional brochures and resources, visit the official government website.
Please contact KVH to have a speaker present an overview on the Health Reform Law and its impact on Kentuckians.
The Top Five Things You Need to Know
- Families with Children (PDF – English 7.27 MB, Spanish 1.23 MB)
- Health Care Providers (PDF – English 2.71 MB, Spanish 517 KB)
- People with Disabilities (PDF – English 2.56 MB, Spanish 930 KB)
- Seniors (PDF – English 11.3 MB, Spanish 1.54 MB)
- Small Business Owners (PDF – English 4.22 MB, Spanish 646 KB)
- Young Adults (PDF – English 6.56 MB, Spanish 919 KB)
Information for Consumers and Small Businesses
Additional Resource Links
- Find Insurance Options
- Learn About Prevention
- Compare Care Quality
- Understanding the Law
- http://www.healthcare.gov/ - the new consumer-focused Health Care website
- http://www.cuidadodesalud.gov/ - the new Spanish-language consumer-focused Health Care Website
- Get more information on the New Affordable Care Act
- Get more information on the New Affordable Care Act can provide to you
- Get the Facts Straight on Health Reform
- Get the latest brochures about the Affordable Care Act
Healthcare.gov is the official government site that provides information on finding insurance options, prevention, comparing care quality and understanding the new law.
CuidadodeSalud.gov is the partner site of HealthCare.gov, and is the first website in Spanish to provide consumers with both public and private health coverage options tailored specifically for their needs in a single, easy-to-use tool.
The Office of Consumer Information and Insurance Oversight (OCIIO) recently released numerous regulations and requests for comment. It's critical for state advocates to have a voice in federal rulemaking, so we've listed these opportunities for you below.
- Status as a Grandfathered Health Plan (Deadline: August 16)
- Patient's Bill of Rights (Deadline: August 27)
- Coverage of Preventive Services (Deadline: September 17)
- Internal Claims and Appeals and External Review Processes (Deadline: September 21)
- Pre Existing Condition Insurance Plan (Deadline:September 28)
Kaiser Family Foundation Health Reform Gateway. Kaiser Family Foundation is the nations leading health care policy organization. The health care reform gateway provides basic information analysis, data, and a calculator for individuals to estimate premiums and subsidies under the new law.
Confused about how the new health reform law really works? Watch "Health Reform Hits Main Street by Kaiser." This short, animated movie - featuring the "YouToons" - explains the problems with the current health care system, the changes that are happening now, and the big changes coming in 2014.
StateHealthFacts.org is a project of the Kaiser Family Foundation; this site provides comprehensive state-by-state health data.
FamiliesUSA - Health Reform Central is a national nonprofit, non-partisan organization dedicated to the achievement of high-quality, affordable health care for all Americans. Working at the national, state, and community levels, they have earned a national reputation as an effective voice for health care consumers for 25 years.
Community Catalyst is a national non-profit advocacy organization working to build the consumer and community leadership that is required to transform the American health system. State consumer advocates will play a critical role in ensuring the success of national health care reform. Community Catalyst will support advocates’ efforts to ensure the law is implemented effectively, and that consumer interests continue to be represented when new programs are established and new rules and guidelines are set.
Trust for America's Health (TFAH) is a non-profit, non-partisan organization dedicated to saving lives by protecting the health of every community and working to make disease prevention a national priority.
National Conference of State Legislatures is a national organization that serves 50 state legislatures and provides health reform implementation information.
National Governors Association (NGA) is the collective voice of the nation's Governors. States play a significant role in health reform implementation as part of the new law that includes a range of state requirements and options.
The Robert Wood Johnson Foundation is another leading national organization that conducts research and provides grant funding for health reform activities.
"Expanding Health Coverage in Kentucky: Why It Matters" is a Kentucky Voices for Health brief that provides highlights of recent research that clearly illustrates why expanding health coverage matters to Kentucky.
- Feb 02, 2016
- Oct 15, 2015
- Oct 13, 2015